2016 - 2017 Basketball Thread

Started by airboy, November 16, 2016, 09:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

UNC Beat Dook and took the regular season title!  :bd:

Grayson got another technical.  :DD

airboy

I went with a buddy to the SEC Women's Tournament in Greenville SC last week.  We did not go to the Wednesday games (I had to finish my taxes).

We went to all of the rest of the games (4 Thursday, 4 Friday, 2 Saturday, Finals on Sunday). 

Excellent basketball.  Only one game was a blowout.  Very knowledgeable, partisan fans.  Auburn lost their game on Thursday at 11:00, so my buddy and I were just interested in good games.  Quite a few times one of us would comment that a call was blown, or that such-and-such player was screwing up and a partisan would agree (but be happy they got the blown call, agree someone on the other team was eating their lunch, or agree that their player was sucking).  One of the best partisan basketball crowds that I have ever seen.

I've been to a Mens SEC Tournament before.  For the Men's Tournament - Tons of Kentucky fans.  Many of them sneak in Bourbon or pregame and are drunk.  They are also mostly partisan idiots.  With apologies to MetalDog - Kentucky Mens Basketball Fans are the Basketball equal of Alabama Football fans.  But the other portion of Kentucky Fans come for every single game including the play in games on Wednesday and are very knowledgeable.   About a 50%-50% split.

For Women, there are a lot of Tennessee fans who come to every game.  Since SC won the title and the tourney was in Greenville, SC - tons of Game Chickens.  Fans were very knowledgeable all weekend.  Did not see a single drunk fan. 

There were all of 6 Auburn fans at the Finals.  Most people leave after their team loses.  I went to see a bunch of good games.  My seats were awesome.  We were 4 rows behind the family section of the higher ranked teams bench.  That translates to row 9 between the top of the key and the center court jump circle.

In the SEC many of the pep bands are awesome.  It is a joy to hear them play.  The dance lines are always hot, and some of them are excellent (especially Georgia).

Here is what a dance line looks like.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Thank you for taking the bait ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

I was surprised Auburn got a bid.  State better be ready for a press.

airboy

Quote from: airboy on March 14, 2017, 03:23:37 PM
I was surprised Auburn got a bid.  State better be ready for a press.

And Auburn could not score again.  Forced 20+ turnovers and lose big.  Brandy Montgomery went dead cold the second half of the season.

On a brighter note, Katie Frerking is a Marketing Major who was the SEC academic player of the year and 1st Team Defensive player.  She was also the 2nd leading scorer and rebounder on the team.  We will miss her in the classroom and on the court.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The Cavaliers decided to actually make their shots tonight.

The think is, even with a record-setting first quarter, there's no one watching this game thinking "there's no way GS can come back."

bayonetbrant