eBay snipers and out of print games, how I hate you!

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, April 17, 2017, 06:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've been having a lot more fun that I'd expected with Tide of Iron so I've been trying to track down a copy of the Days of the Fox expansion as it's the only one I'm missing from the collection. 

I found 3 copies on eBay, one in Canada, one in the US, and one in Aus.  Put bids in on all three and added what I thought was a decent buffer.  Sniped with 10 seconds to go on all three.

God damn but that's annoying!

Only copy I can find now is on Amazon and the wet fart selling it wants $1200.

Staggerwing

Put it in your cart and keep watching it. Sometimes Amazon's pricing algorithms do weird things to the prices of things and they eventually settle back down.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's a 3rd party seller. I contacted him and he was willing to "let it go" for $875 US.

bayonetbrant

lemme see what I can do for you.  I knows peoples...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 17, 2017, 07:22:17 PM
It's a 3rd party seller. I contacted him and he was willing to "let it go" for $875 US.

Well that's very generous!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 17, 2017, 07:22:23 PM
lemme see what I can do for you.  I knows peoples...

Thanks, I appreciate the effort Brant.

Quote from: Bison on April 17, 2017, 07:24:21 PM

Well that's very generous!

I know!  I told him that I had my pride and wasn't going to stoop to accepting charity.

trailrunner

I hope he included free shipping for that price.

Moezilla

There is someone selling a ToI bundle on the Facebook ToI site and Wargamers marketplace, including Days of the Fox. Keep an eye on those, you can find some great deals with patience. I snagged a copy I think it was last year for $35, unpunched.

bayonetbrant

SDR - I heard back, and it could be a few days, but I'll have an update for you soonish.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 17, 2017, 06:49:34 PM
I've been having a lot more fun that I'd expected with Tide of Iron so I've been trying to track down a copy of the Days of the Fox expansion as it's the only one I'm missing from the collection. 

I found 3 copies on eBay, one in Canada, one in the US, and one in Aus.  Put bids in on all three and added what I thought was a decent buffer.  Sniped with 10 seconds to go on all three.

I used to snipe.  But even then, I was not really getting me what I wanted.  Now I just bid the max that I want to pay, and let fate run its course.  Strangely I find that approach is more successful (for me anyway)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Moezilla

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 17, 2017, 10:18:56 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 17, 2017, 06:49:34 PM

I used to snipe.  But even then, I was not really getting me what I wanted.  Now I just bid the max that I want to pay, and let fate run its course.  Strangely I find that approach is more successful (for me anyway)

Doing the max bid and forgetting it is far less stressful and it helps keep the wallet in check.  :)

Cyrano

Ebay is a den of liars, pimps, and whoremongers...any yes, auto-correct, that's a word...

I so very often want to go in there with a scourge of small cords and drive them from the temple of gaming.

Offered into evidence:  Current listing for Highway to the Kremlin at juuuust under $300.

For me and OOP games it's Enterprise Games (most righteous), the BGG Marketplace, and the CoolStuffInc remainders area at Origins.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bbmike

I said it before and I'll say it again. There needs to be something like GoG for out of print games. I know it will never happen for various reasons but a Grog can dream.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on April 28, 2017, 09:52:33 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. There needs to be something like GoG for out of print games. I know it will never happen for various reasons but a Grog can dream.

http://www.wargamedownloads.com ?