Gloomhaven - Entering Early Access on STEAM!

Started by CJReich46, July 10, 2019, 11:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

We have a Gloomhaven update from Asmodee .

Early Access on Steam next week

July 17th!!

You may now resume your loin moistening...

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

acctingman

CRAP

On vacation until Aug 1...but....I should be happy that I'm on vacation and I shouldn't be thinking about a PC game.....right?  #:-)

Gusington

Absolutely not. What better time to moisten the old loins?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

A lot of loins are getting moistened around here lately.

DennisS

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 10, 2019, 05:58:41 PM
A lot of loins are getting moistened around here lately.

How come MY loins are dry? What does a guy have to do to get his loins worked on around here?

Con

Well if you have a billion dollars apparently you can go and recruit illegal loin moistening with impunity

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Nice.

I still have yet to finish sleeving the cards, and painting some of the minis, in the massive tabletop game sitting on my shelf gathering dust.

At least having a digital version will save a lot of time.  The setup and tear-down time looks maddening on the real thing.  Even with all the components sorted into marked bins.  :o

Tpek

Is the digital version going to be a true adaptation of the board game?

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on July 11, 2019, 09:43:45 AM
Nice.

I still have yet to finish sleeving the cards, and painting some of the minis, in the massive tabletop game sitting on my shelf gathering dust.

At least having a digital version will save a lot of time.  The setup and tear-down time looks maddening on the real thing.  Even with all the components sorted into marked bins.  :o

I have been running a Gloomhaven campaign since last September. Setup takes about 20 minutes. The family is due over this Sunday at 2 pm, and I will start setting up at 1:30 pm.

I'm getting better. All the cards are in alphabetical order, as are all the game boards. Everything each player needs is in one small plastic bag, placed on the table in front of them. City events, road events, and marketplace options are all readily available, as are the daily quests. From arrival time to the actual gameplay is under ten minutes. We do one scenario per gameplay session..takes between 90 minutes and three hours.

My group is good, and getting better. I am cranking up the difficulty, which gets them MORE experience, MORE town prosperity, and MORE money to buy cool sh!t for their characters. I believe we have done 16 missions. No one has completed their lifetime achievements..although two of them are close.

Each time a character completes their lifetime achievement, this will change the game dramatically, based on the new character they choose. They do have the ability to keep their old one..but where's the fun in that!

airboy

BBmike plays this with his wife most every week.

I'm interested, but unless I got a review copy I'll probably wait a year after release

DennisS

Quote from: airboy on July 12, 2019, 09:23:53 PM
BBmike plays this with his wife most every week.

I'm interested, but unless I got a review copy I'll probably wait a year after release

Only four characters available at release. If this isn't the group you want to run for a 400 hour long campaign, then tough.

Also..I don't believe that the campaign is available. I THINK that there are semi-random missions, only. Not sure on that one.

Either way, this is not a day one purchase. If each of the new character types is a DLC, then that will be 12-20 DLC's...and that just ain't gonna happen, not when I have already dropped $100 on the board game.

Tpek

DennisS

Quote from: Tpek on July 17, 2019, 08:16:19 AM
It's out on Steam.

The reviews are generally positive...with a couple of comments.

No multi-player, no campaigns, and just four character types available to start. Two more will unlock after 8 boss fights.

These are all semi-randomly generated missions. Not linked, not part of a campaign.

I am going to hold off on this for awhile. I am happy there isn't a campaign, as my board game group has completed about a dozen of them, and I don't want spoilers.

bbmike

It is early access so there is no campaign, no multiplayer, and no modding support (all three will be added). Right now there is only a mini-campaign where you must defeat three bosses on a Gloomhaven style map. It does seem to have road encounters, no sure about city encounters yet. It follows the rules of the board game closely as far as I can tell. In fact, this might be a good way to learn the board game for those interested in that. My only complaint is the UI and that's only because I've played the board game so much. Right now it is difficult for me to tell what I can do/have done (when you play the board game you can see everything). Not so with the digital version so far but I suspect that will be fixed. People are already pointing it out in the Steam forums. All said, I did have fun with the first scenario.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak