Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteRussian Delta class submarine firing ballistic missile

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

USS Jason Dunham (DDG 109)

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Staggerwing

Cool charts. Where did you find them? Are there any more at the source?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I found them on Reddit. This is the source site - http://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.mil/

Cool site, but I didn't see anymore infographics like those.

besilarius

The cruiser chart is missing the Marbleheads.
A great class inspired by the govenors of Massachusetts.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

I think the graphic was meant to show more notable ways that USN cruisers changed over the years rather than include each and every class. There are no Chester- or St-Louise-class ships on the list either.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

2 Million pounds for Dreadnaught in 1905.
Would be roughly 218 Million pounds today.  Might be able to cover an F35/
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

BanzaiCat

That cruiser chart is cool, but that's some shitty Photoshop skills, making the bottom of it unreadable.

mirth

QuoteRIM-7 Sea Sparrow missile launched from Wasp-class amphibious assault ship

mirth

Good read - http://breakingdefense.com/2016/01/navys-dilemma-what-kind-of-presence/

I like this guy:

Quote"Folks, our job is to kill people and break their toys," the Navy's director of surface warfare, Rear Adm. Peter Fanta, said to laughter and applause at the Surface Navy Association's annual conference. "There's nothing else in the world that matters. That's why you have a Navy."

"I got it," Fanta went on. "There's presence — [but] presence without lethality is impotence."

undercovergeek

1100 crew on a cruiser?

mirth

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 20, 2016, 10:18:37 AM
1100 crew on a cruiser?

Not ours. Most of our modern cruisers/destroyers have a total complement of around 300-350. The Zumwalts will only have about 150 due to the high level of automation.

undercovergeek

i refer you to the long beach and baltimore class

mirth

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 20, 2016, 02:37:22 PM
i refer you to the long beach and baltimore class

Not exactly modern ;)