Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on December 26, 2018, 01:03:02 PM
Your talking official finished release ?  I'm under the impression the f14 will be EA in 2 to 3 months due to the fact that they sold preorders.

The initial release of the F14A+B will be early access. However, the developers have made it clear that the initial early access build will be nearly feature complete with all major systems functioning. The have made a direct distinction from other EA releases that have come with major functionality missing. This will NOT be the case with the Tomcat.

All we know about a release date is that it will be sometime prior to March 21, 2019.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

I am fighting every impulse to start building a real cockpit for my office game room with a custom chair, HOTAS stand and room for Cougar MFDs, etc. Please, someone, talk me out of this before I commit and its too late.

It is totally impractical for the space I have. It would require a significant reconfiguration of my desk and it would most likely prevent me from playing VR games that require room to move around. However, the idea of having a dedicated pit, and seeing what some other people have put together for their simming has me really tempted. 

I'm thinking of starting with something basic and module like this:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/11881?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2paeh6a-3wIVCZ-fCh33xAaLEAQYAyABEgIt5PD_BwE
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 26, 2018, 03:06:51 PM
I am fighting every impulse to start building a real cockpit for my office game room with a custom chair, HOTAS stand and room for Cougar MFDs, etc. Please, someone, talk me out of this before I commit and its too late.

It is totally impractical for the space I have. It would require a significant reconfiguration of my desk and it would most likely prevent me from playing VR games that require room to move around. However, the idea of having a dedicated pit, and seeing what some other people have put together for their simming has me really tempted. 

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/11881?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2paeh6a-3wIVCZ-fCh33xAaLEAQYAyABEgIt5PD_BwE

I guess that puts my Christmas gift of pedals this year to shame:(

jomni

Don't do it. Unless you drop all your games and just fly planes.

Yskonyn

I would also not do it unless it will be your only hobby.
My pit is based around practicality:
It needs to provide some immersion, but also needs to make way easily for other tasks at the desk.
I am using a DSD buttonbox, HOTAS on table clamps (special one which lowers the stick to place it realistically downward in between the legs), Jetseat for force feedback to round it off.

http://derekspearedesigns.com/dsd-flight---flt1flt2.html

https://www.monstertech.de/en/product/joystick-hotas-table-mount/

Its a great 'portable' setup with enough immersion for me.

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MikeGER

when you once have experienced VR you are already beyond a cockpit, immersion wise 
(next step would be VR and sitting in a chair that moves in a motor-driven gimbal according to your plane in the sim)

i would think about placing your input devise(s) in a way that they feel immersive and slaving all nessesary functions to knobs and switches in a for you comfortable way ...and then try to adjust to that setup so you can play 'blinded' by the VR goggle     

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MikeGER on December 27, 2018, 10:55:00 AM

when you once have experienced VR you are already beyond a cockpit, immersion wise 
(next step would be VR and sitting in a chair that moves in a motor-driven gimbal according to your plane in the sim)

i would think about placing your input devise(s) in a way that they feel immersive and slaving all nessesary functions to knobs and switches in a for you comfortable way ...and then try to adjust to that setup so you can play 'blinded' by the VR goggle   

I do not enjoy playing DCS in VR. The sensation is definitely worth experiencing from time to time, but I find I am much more comfortable with TrackIR for the time being. The seat and HOTAS stand I posted above is modular and one of the add-ons is the V3 motion stand that adds 2DoF movement. Its decent, but not spectacular and at $2,999, its the most cost effective option. I'm not there yet though...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

For as much simming as you do, I'm going to take the other side and suggest you do get a cockpit.  I do all of my simming exclusively in my Obutto and it was game-changing for me.  Having all the gear set up and ready to go, laid out in a thoughtful manner, just makes the whole experience so much more fun to me.

Consider, which you know, that you we're not just talking DCS.  You do Star Citizen and others, which would be perfect in there.

I like my Obutto, but it is pretty limited for customization without some serious work by the owner.  If yours posted above is built from the bottom up to be modular, that might be the way to go.  I haven't found the lack of customization to be a problem on mine, but if you're thinking of doing it, that might be something to consider.

The downside of my Obutto right now is that it is really an eyesore in my office/man cave.  It's hard to have an elegant little office with this big cockpit with all the wires and what not hanging out of it.  If that's the only office you have, your concerns about the room and aesthetics of it are valid.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

My God!  It's ...

Here I was, debating the merit of purchasing a $400+ dollar HOTAS a few months ago.  Would I get that much use out of it?  Who knows?

But Jarhead is planning some balls-to-the-wall shit.  Oh, yes, Precious.   :coolsmiley:

Tuna

Maybe you can visit JH with your stick!

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

DCS: BAE Hawk Update

We regret to inform you that VEAO is no longer a developer for DCS World. As such, they have also ceased support of their Hawk. Although we offered to support their product, they declined making the files available to do so.

Given this unfortunate situation, we will fully refund all Hawk customers that purchased the module starting from 1 October 2018. If you wish a full refund, please enter a support request here.

For those that purchased the Hawk prior to 1 October 2018, will continue to make DCS World 2.5.3 available, such that you can still fly the Hawk.

To avoid such issues in the future, all future 3rd party agreements are now required to make the game files available in case they are no longer able to support their product.

jomni

Wow they didn't what to hand it over. Unless DCS asked them to hand it over for free.

JudgeDredd

Good news for us consumers  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath