Started by chemkid, February 10, 2017, 10:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Quote from: Barthheart on February 17, 2017, 11:53:26 AM
Quote from: -budd- on February 17, 2017, 11:42:42 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 17, 2017, 07:48:20 AM
Quote from: -budd- on February 16, 2017, 10:45:28 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 16, 2017, 10:07:04 PM
Has anyone got this working on a Win 10 machine?

I downloaded it from LnLP a while ago and tried all the video setting but noting worked. All menus over ran or were blank. Map tears when zooming in and out. Text too small no matter what res I set to...
works on my win10 laptop. Check your font size for the text over run, game only works with 96 dpi font setting right now. For blank menu try setting your res on your computer before starting the game and then pick match desktop res when game starts and see if one of the choices works then. Your not the only one, these things were mentioned in the tech thread to work for some people.  One of the reasons the Ui was worked on for CO2 is too change this i.e scalable font size, there just not done yet. The text is small, i use windows magnifer myself in full screen mode to zoom in more, not perfect but it is what it is right now.

I tried all the screen res setting and the ones that solved the map tear had blank menus... and vise versa...  :P
I'll try the 96 dpi font size thing next.
Thanks.
but did you try all the rez setting while on your desktop? not in the game menu.Set the rez, then start the game and pick run at desk top resolution, rinse and repeat for the other rez settings. You must run one of those really high resolutions, that seems to be a common thread. Did you try the free steam demo, see if that would work for you. Dave posted once the steam release has died down he'll be back on the patch. Don't know if the font thing is included in that, hope so then i wont have to use the magnifier.

Yep I was messing with my screen res as well...

Is the Steam demo any different?

I'll try give it a shot this weekend.

Not sure about the demo, there's only  a few win10 problems posted on steam. So far the Steam crowd are pretty reserved in its judgement, surprising. You might also try running in win8 compatibility mode as admin, someone posted it worked for them.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Barthheart

Quote from: -budd- on February 17, 2017, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 17, 2017, 11:53:26 AM
Quote from: -budd- on February 17, 2017, 11:42:42 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 17, 2017, 07:48:20 AM
Quote from: -budd- on February 16, 2017, 10:45:28 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 16, 2017, 10:07:04 PM
Has anyone got this working on a Win 10 machine?

I downloaded it from LnLP a while ago and tried all the video setting but noting worked. All menus over ran or were blank. Map tears when zooming in and out. Text too small no matter what res I set to...
works on my win10 laptop. Check your font size for the text over run, game only works with 96 dpi font setting right now. For blank menu try setting your res on your computer before starting the game and then pick match desktop res when game starts and see if one of the choices works then. Your not the only one, these things were mentioned in the tech thread to work for some people.  One of the reasons the Ui was worked on for CO2 is too change this i.e scalable font size, there just not done yet. The text is small, i use windows magnifer myself in full screen mode to zoom in more, not perfect but it is what it is right now.

I tried all the screen res setting and the ones that solved the map tear had blank menus... and vise versa...  :P
I'll try the 96 dpi font size thing next.
Thanks.
but did you try all the rez setting while on your desktop? not in the game menu.Set the rez, then start the game and pick run at desk top resolution, rinse and repeat for the other rez settings. You must run one of those really high resolutions, that seems to be a common thread. Did you try the free steam demo, see if that would work for you. Dave posted once the steam release has died down he'll be back on the patch. Don't know if the font thing is included in that, hope so then i wont have to use the magnifier.

Yep I was messing with my screen res as well...

Is the Steam demo any different?

I'll try give it a shot this weekend.

Not sure about the demo, there's only  a few win10 problems posted on steam. So far the Steam crowd are pretty reserved in its judgement, surprising. You might also try running in win8 compatibility mode as admin, someone posted it worked for them.

Thanks Budd, I'll give that a try too.

JasonPratt

Well the new patch has updated the game so that Win 8 now works like Win 10.

(i.e., it's broken in several ways now.  :P )

I ABSOLUTELY recommend no one spend money on the DLC until the core game engine is stable across operating systems, since trying to fix something for Win 10 may break Win 8 (for example). Fortunately the core engine is free, so you can track how well the game is working for you that way.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rekim

Got to agree with Jason on this. Command Ops 2 has been broken since release for me. I'm surprised that they are going ahead the launch on Steam with such a fundamental issue still in effect. It sounds like more revenue is required in order to fix the problem, but have to wonder about the backlash when a significant number of customers are going to be affected.

rwenstrup

Many have posted on the LNL site about the scaling problem. For some unfathomable reason Dave has said this is a "feature request" and can't be pursued at this time.

I no longer play the game since it's impossible to get a common font size.

I have all of the DLC and all previous games since Highway to the Reich and I am very disappointed that a problem as fundamental as this has not been addressed. It shows complete lack of concern for a legitimate customer problem.

I would not buy this game until this problem is clearly fixed...

-budd-

Hope they get it fixed up, one of my favorite series. I guess im lucky as the only problem i have on Win10 is the text is a bit small at 96dpi. Has anyone here got the steam version or demo to run? Just wondering if anymore briefing maps got added for the steam release. Since there's no steam keys yet maybe ill download the demo and see if it presents any problems for me.

JasonPratt

I think they're trying to fix it -- Win 8 was working before (unless I'm misremembering fiddling around with it yesterday and/or earlier this week!)

They just released another hotpatch a few minutes ago. Didn't help me, but I don't know what it was addressing to be fair.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Pinetree

You'll be pleased to know that I'm back doing the situational awareness maps. I've already completed the HTTR maps, next will be Westwall.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

-budd-

rocketman

Quote from: Pinetree on February 19, 2017, 12:41:25 AM
You'll be pleased to know that I'm back doing the situational awareness maps. I've already completed the HTTR maps, next will be Westwall.
Awesome, look forward to them  :bd:

JasonPratt

Okay, I'm on a NDA now for beta testing the engine updates, but I think I can say: there is some real progress being made in dealing with the black-background menu screen.

Also, not related to the beta, all of my resolution problems (i.e. the menu screen not downsizing properly if I wanted to play 768 game res starting from 1080 screen res, plus the font and bar warping at ANY res), were easily solved by resetting my desktop size to 100% instead of 125%.

Now, that fix doesn't help everyone who has such problems, but it's a known fix and helps almost everyone with that problem. Nor did it need the beta to fix: that fix works not only with non-beta COPs2, but (as Tuna has confirmed) with COPs1, and even with COTA and the original HTTR.

The downside is that my eyes are getting old and having the desktop resized to 125% was nice (I might even take it back up to 150%!  :hide: ) I have run experiments strongly suggesting (again, not beta work) that adjusting the text sizes for the desktop does not affect the game one bit. But that doesn't help, for example, the text I'm typing right now.

But it's REAALLLY easy to just go back and forth tweaking the desktop magnification, which only requires a logout/login to reset. Also, for some reason I've never had but one game that couldn't adjust to the screen magnification, and that's COPs. So if I only downgrade to 100% occasionally to play the game, I can go back up almost immediately when playing anything else.

nelmsm

Is there some point where the problem occurs?  I've been playing the tutorial scenario and not had any issues on my Win10 machine.

Rekim

If the tutorial works for you I expect the rest will be fine.

If you buy it from Steam getting a refund is an option.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Rekim on February 23, 2017, 09:16:27 PM
If the tutorial works for you I expect the rest will be fine.

Agreed! -- although I'm curious whether you've had the non-fatal bug about the Shift-hotkeys not working, Nelmsm. (Doesn't affect game functionality at all, just annoying if you like to learn the hotkeys. Will doubtless be fixed later.)

nelmsm

Just learning the game so havent gotten around to learning the hotkeys yet