BC's Quantum Mechanics

Started by BanzaiCat, December 26, 2016, 10:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Quote from: mirth on December 28, 2016, 04:08:32 PM
Quote from: Tpek on December 28, 2016, 03:24:20 PM
I've thoroughly played the demo.
But I just don't see how much fun this can be in the long run.
It looks too repetitive and shallow to fully entertain once you grind for all the upgrades.

Sounds like a job or something :P

This is pretty much what most of those simulators sound like.
The fun of the job coupled with the income of taxes  ::)

JudgeDredd

5 hours in today  ::)  and XP of 3100
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Don't forget to get yer upgrades through the tool box.

JudgeDredd

Got them. I need them to service a DeLorean. Damn thing was the first car to come in with "Part not identified". I had to strip the engine down to fix a load of things and then put it all back together only to find out that there were still "Parts not identified"...I needed the compression tool and the volt meter (or whatever they are) and found two pistons gone and another thing in the engine....had to take it all apart again!!

That car took about an hour I think.

Things are getting trickier
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

You'll get used to it.

One of the more annoying bits is the "rubber bushings" - those are part of the suspension system I think. You have to hunt for them sometimes.

JudgeDredd

8 hours
4.5k XP
had $20k and spent $15k on the Test Path. I don't know what it's for yet - but it's an upgrade I could afford, so I got it...I'll go digging to see what it's about later
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2016, 06:16:54 PM
8 hours
4.5k XP
had $20k and spent $15k on the Test Path. I don't know what it's for yet - but it's an upgrade I could afford, so I got it...I'll go digging to see what it's about later

8 Real life hours or 8 'billable' game hours? If the latter, how long did it really take?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

LOL

The Test Path is good for determining the state of a car's brakes and suspension. After you drive through it and put the car through each of the four tests, when you return to the garage you'll get a pop-up of conditions of various pertinent parts.

You don't have to brake when driving your car in the Test Path; just hit the accelerator and your car will move forward and stop automatically. The first test is front brakes, the second rear brakes, then the third and fourth are I think the suspension front and rear, respectively.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 29, 2016, 07:53:26 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2016, 06:16:54 PM
8 hours
4.5k XP

8 Real life hours or 8 'billable' game hours? If the latter, how long did it really take?
8 REAL life hours. I've only had the game 2 days  #:-)
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 29, 2016, 07:59:43 PM
LOL

The Test Path is good for determining the state of a car's brakes and suspension. After you drive through it and put the car through each of the four tests, when you return to the garage you'll get a pop-up of conditions of various pertinent parts.

You don't have to brake when driving your car in the Test Path; just hit the accelerator and your car will move forward and stop automatically. The first test is front brakes, the second rear brakes, then the third and fourth are I think the suspension front and rear, respectively.
I presume by having these tests by using the test path, it doesn't require you to take bits off the car to check their status? 'Cos I noticed that some parts you can inspect and others it mentioned the Test Path...so the Test Path helps by not making you take the parts off to check?

That makes sense because sometimes you have to take parts off the car to get to the bit you can't inspect unless you take it off the car. That should cut down time on looking for dodgy components...I'm getting more and more cars where the list is not provided and you have to inspect parts. Some can be found using the Test Track correct?
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Some can, yes, but certainly not all.

Some parts are a bit dodgy; you'll see something like "Condition can be seen using OBD Scanner," but the car won't have an OBD port, so you can't use it.

When I was fixing cars, the first thing I'd do is use all three of those tools.

BanzaiCat

Don't forget that, once you max out your tools, you can spend points to upgrade your garage's looks. The pile of boxes, ladder, paints and such over by the waiting area are what you need to select to do that. Once you upgrade a part of the garage, you can select from several options within that.

I used the text that Barth talked about (it's easy to find in a Google search) so the game is much more immersive and interesting.

I just finished working on a Dodge Charger.

It's kind of weird - I decided to upgrade the engine, which you can do when looking into the engine bay. It would have cost 37 grand to replace it completely and let the game do all the work of assembling. I did that on one car just before this one, but that kind of took away the fun. So on this one I went ahead and paid the $500 upgrade cost for the engine, but I'd be required to buy any missing parts and assemble it myself.

The hood is a little weird. Would be nice if there was a custom one that would fit this supercharger. Oh well.

I took it to the Dyno room and holy crap this thing churned out some power.

I took it to the drag strip but something was wrong; it kept pulling to the left. I'd take off in first gear and within half a second it was redlining and starting to do donuts. I mean, WTF? Everything was in place part-wise. I tuned the carburetor appropriately. I don't get it. Anyway, good thing it doesn't damage the car from crashing into walls. It happened literally in the blink of an eye.

Sold it for about 82 grand, too.

Millipede

I'm guessing that your problem at the drag strip is due to applying too much power at once and inducing wheel spin thus hitting the RPM red-line almost immediately and initiating a sideways boogy with the loss of traction. Have you tried racing slicks? Pretty much a requirement with that much horse-power.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Millipede on December 31, 2016, 01:54:24 PM
I'm guessing that your problem at the drag strip is due to applying too much power at once and inducing wheel spin thus hitting the RPM red-line almost immediately and initiating a sideways boogy with the loss of traction. Have you tried racing slicks? Pretty much a requirement with that much horse-power.

Admitedly, I haven't gotten that deep into that side of the game. I did put together a DeLorean Scifi and got it up to 88 mph and the 'surprise' that happens when you get there. I had another car on the drag strip too. Neither of them had huge engines like this, though.

Millipede

Banzai...
Actually, I had pretty much the same problem when I first went to the track and it took me awhile to figure out what was going on. Part of the problem is with the UI because it doesn't allow you to modulate the throttle... it's more like an on/off switch in that you either have full throttle or nothing. With the racing tires (I think it's the Performance DLC that allows for alternate wheel/tire packages) you can just hammer the throttle and hit the shift points and you're good to go. You still get a bit of wheel spin and the RPM bogs down, and I've yet to figure a way around that, but it's infinitely better than with stock tires.

Another thing worth mentioning to all of you that might be interested in this sim... I've got 84 hours into it and have all the various shop/tool upgrades, several of the DLC packages and I've received a great deal of enjoyment playing with it and found the cost/hour to be well worth the investment but.... as wondered about in some of the previous posts, for me it has gotten to the point of diminished returns in that you end up doing the same thing over and over, with the various model cars being the only variation, and that gets to be a little bit like working for a living.