Flashpoint Campaigns: Germany Reforged Announced!

Started by Capn Darwin, October 06, 2015, 11:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Help a novice tank commander out here.

I always thought a hull down position was one of the best positions that a tank could have.  Even better if in a wooded area.  Playing Soviet Main Attack Force against Barthheart, I lost 2 companies of Abrams that were sitting 2 elevations above a valley to his charging T-80's.  I've seen this in some solo games in the past when I had a tank platoon at the base of a hill and t-80's come charging over, but had always assumed that it was because they were on the move and not setting up to defend.

Help a novice out here.

Thanks.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

-budd-

Are your units shooting at him? if your shooting at him i have no idea you should be a very small target but if your not maybe the gun cant traverse that low of angle to shoot. 
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Father Ted

Quote from: Barthheart on February 18, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
:D

Cruel man.

Anyway, I'm not sure that tanks-on-a-hill is necessarily a good thing.  Don't know how the game models armour, but the underneath is obviously weaker, and if, as -budd- says you cannot depress the elevation to engage the people shooting up at you then you're in trouble.

OJsDad

The tanks weren't firing due range at first.  By the time the t-80's were in range, they'd taken such damage from the ATGM's that the t-80s carry that they were ineffective.  Which, given that some of the platoons were in wooded hexes, should have been next to impossible to been seen. 

Ted, that's why I'm asking here, just wanting to understand how the game is modeled. 

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

iron mike golf

I don't have enough information to get to the numbers involved, so let me try to explain the factors that contribute to your situation.

1. Your unit's posture/movement mode matters (Hold/Screen/Deliberate Move, etc)
2. Terrain effects: this is run by the Visibility Hindrance of the hex, which affects both spotting chances as well as lethality of fires.  For woods, this is basically the tree density. It varies from hex to hex. You get additional protection from being dug in (Hold posture for 30 minutes or more) or occupying an Improved Position.
3. Being in a woods hex does not mean "next to impossible" to be seen. It depends on the Visibility Hindrance rating of the hex and the range between units. This is modified by things like weather, smoke, thermal sights, IR sights, etc.
4. A unit seen moving into a hex is easier to be spotted in that hex than one already there and stationary when an enemy first establishes LOS to that hex.
5. An unspotted unit that fires is easier to spot than one that does not fire. Units that fire are not automatically spotted.

OJsDad

Iron Mike,

The hexes in question are 1324, 1423, and 1523.  They're all showing Cover 50% and elevation 4.  I'm not sure if all of the tanks got there before the t-80's could see the hill top or not, BH may be able to answer that.  They were set to Screen after arriving.

The t-80's were in the valley to the SE around hex 2225 elevation 2 in that valley.  I'm not sure they were as far as 2225 by the time my first company got into position. 

iron mike golf

Quote from: OJsDad on February 22, 2017, 06:45:39 PM
Iron Mike,

The hexes in question are 1324, 1423, and 1523.  They're all showing Cover 50% and elevation 4.  I'm not sure if all of the tanks got there before the t-80's could see the hill top or not, BH may be able to answer that.  They were set to Screen after arriving.

The t-80's were in the valley to the SE around hex 2225 elevation 2 in that valley.  I'm not sure they were as far as 2225 by the time my first company got into position.

Maybe I missed it, but which scenario?

The big thing right off the bat is being in Screen.