At The Gates Makes It!

Started by Bismarck, March 08, 2013, 10:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Quote from: Rayfer on October 17, 2014, 09:37:30 AM
Interesting looking game.  The video is over an hour long....does anyone actually watch it from start to finish? I tend to click along the line at the bottom watching a minute or so here and there, maybe 5 to 10 minutes total.  Just curious.

I wasn't going to, but I ended up watching the whole video. I liked what I saw and am happy that I was one of its Kickstarter supporters.

According to this, "Early access versions are now available for all PC platforms!" An Early Access Bundle is priced at $50 U.S.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

steve58

^As tempted as I might be, I think I'm going to wait for release and get it for $30 rather than spending $50 now.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

...a recent update about ATG from Mr Shafer...and a new almost 2 hour Lets Play video.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

I check in on At the Gates every once in a while in the hopes that its getting closer to release. 

Doesn't look like it'll be released anytime soon...if ever.  :(  The situation sounds somewhat similar to the Limit Theory debacle...a developer getting in over his head.  I pledged for Limit Theory, glad I decided to wait on At the Gates.  Still hoping both make it, but...

Jon Shafer Creator on May 13
Hey all, apologies for the lengthy radio silence. I've been dealing with some health issues the past few months and had to take some time off. I'm back in the saddle as of today though, so no need to worry about whether the game will be finished or not - you should start seeing updates to the game again next week!
- Jon

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonshafer/jon-shafers-at-the-gates/comments

Sounds like the backers are still waiting for any updates 3 months later.

Yikes...from his last Kickstarter update last November.  He's either very determined to see it through, crazy or both.

As noted in a previous section, I'm actually the only full-time developer on AtG, which certainly makes things a whole lot easier that it could be. Everyone else is either a part-timer with some other full-time source of income or a contractor paid for specific work we've known about in advance since the Kickstarter campaign and comes in at a total of $25k, 99% which has already been paid for. Even so, our once-fat sack o' Kickstarter loot has indeed been exhausted, resulting in a initial budget shortfall of around $150k. We've done better with direct pre-orders than I'd actually expected and cut the deficit by $23k. The remaining gap has been filled by proceeds from selling my house, car, and retirement account.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonshafer/jon-shafers-at-the-gates/posts/1424574

RedArgo

Too bad, I was looking forward to that one.  Like you, glad I didn't KS though.  Hopefully he will get it finished though.

tgb

Sounds to my like Jon has had some serious  health issues this year that prevented him from working on the game or staying in contact with the community.  Good for him for putting his health before finishing some stupid video game.  I hope the game makes it out and I'm sure it will be worth the wait, but I'd hardly categorize this as "getting in over his head".

Arctic Blast

Quote from: tgb on August 19, 2016, 09:18:06 AM
Sounds to my like Jon has had some serious  health issues this year that prevented him from working on the game or staying in contact with the community.  Good for him for putting his health before finishing some stupid video game.  I hope the game makes it out and I'm sure it will be worth the wait, but I'd hardly categorize this as "getting in over his head".

Agreed. Still hopeful this comes out, but not at the expense of him getting over whatever health issues he's been dealing with.

RedArgo

Sounds like Jon is back at work, tough year for him.  I guess a new update was released to backers too.

http://www.atthegatesgame.com/node/38

steve58

At the Gates now has a release date...January 23, 2019, a "proper" Steam page and a preview!  :clap:

Jarhead0331

Wish Bismarck was around to see it... :'(
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Ok so this is a actual full release...not an early access release, right?

I love the time period but the graphics are making my eyes bleed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

[alarmbells] Hmm, this fell into a black hole and now it pops up for a release next month?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

FarAway Sooner

I've realized that, in most strategy games, the quality of graphics has almost nothing to do with the enjoyment that I receive from it.  Eye candy in a game can be nice, but I've sunk 100+ hours into plenty of games with horrific graphics (Eador: Genesis, AI Wars, various Dominions titles, the list goes on and on).

I'll be curious to hear what people think of this one.

Gusington

Me too. I've just got used to my Pike and Shot, and Field of Glory, and the Total War campaign map, and Order of Battle, and other titles. I now know that wargames don't have to look like 1977 anymore.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Geezer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 11, 2018, 12:06:50 PM
Wish Bismarck was around to see it... :'(

Agree.  Sad to know he is gone.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw