For those about to FRIDAY (We salute you)!

Started by FlickJax, May 17, 2019, 05:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlickJax

But not sure what to play.....

Jarhead0331

Weak. Fixed it for your.  Much better.

Mom is in town so gaming will be intermittent. Most likely some DCS and a hodgepodge of other games...trying out Tropoco 6 and They are Billions both free through origin premier....Maybe RTW2 if it gets rave reviews here.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Firing up a game of Rome 2 with updated Divide et Impera mod
Thinking about a DCS module But I really have an hour at a time to sit at the computer. Keep reading and tutorials how people learn it by sitting down for 2-3 hours to learn a single system  and that ain't gonna happen

Maybe some Histwar Napoleon or Campaigns on the Danube
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on May 17, 2019, 07:02:31 AM
Firing up a game of Rome 2 with updated Divide et Impera mod
Thinking about a DCS module But I really have an hour at a time to sit at the computer. Keep reading and tutorials how people learn it by sitting down for 2-3 hours to learn a single system  and that ain't gonna happen

Maybe some Histwar Napoleon or Campaigns on the Danube

Rome II!! Yep.  This weekend: DCS, World of Warships, boardgames and maybe something like Druidstone (?? or some other classic single-player RPG)

JasonPratt

Aside from the usual other things going on, I've been having a lot of fun this week with Dead In Vinland, which went on sale earlier this week. (I picked up the dog and extra stories DLCs as well.) It runs well on my Surface Pro 3 (Win 8.1), too, so that helps: I'm not restricted to only playing at home!

The plot is different from its predecessor Dead In Bermuda, which happens in modern times and involves surviving a zombie outbreak on an island. This is more like the Swiss Family Robinson -- or perhaps the Swedish Family Vikingson! A Norse family (Dad, Mom, Daughter, and Mom's sister) escape Vikings raiding their home village, and after a magical storm driving them west they crash upon a mystical island (presumably just off the coast of North America, thus "Vinland") where they must scrabble for survival, bootstrapping themselves back up to the equivalent of village life -- including finding and inviting other lost people on the island to join their village. But a band of Viking raiders claims the island as their own preserve, and so the family (and eventually village) must also grow enough to fend off the Vikings once and for all, bringing peace to the island.

The game is similar enough to another bootstrap survival, Settlements, that I reinstalled that as well (I uninstalled a lot of stuff a few months ago in order to optimize and defragment better). Both games are super-well worth your time, if you have any interest in the genre, but they obviously have differences WHICH MY PSEUDO-OD-C NOW DEMANDS AN ESSAY FROM ME ABOUT!!!1!  :D >:D

Restraining that impulse with some difficulty...  O:-) The preliminary summary is that while DIV has a lot of gameplay detail, Sett has a lot more.

But DIV has a lot more story per se, since Sett's story is about the situation and you generate your own ongoing stories as you like from the random characters generated by the game; but DIV's story is more about the characters dealing with their situations, giving a ton more characterization (semi-randomly developed as you go).

The art and music are necessarily better in DIV, too, though many fans of Sett appreciate its surprisingly detailed large sprite illustrations -- but they look rougher, thanks to fewer developers. (And while the music wasn't bad, I'm sure I've already turned it off while I haven't done that with DIV yet.) Sett's setting and greater overall gameplay detail allow it to go much farther than DIV -- you won't be launching rockets eventually out of Vinland! But DIV's focus naturally allows more narrative characterization.

Both are RPGs with character development, but Sett is one where you're handed random characters for you to customize and manage (all are expendable in effect, since your own 'character' isn't in the game), while DIV hands you a group of particular characters to manage and role-play.

(Also, Sett is pausable and scalable continuous time; DIV is purely turn-based.)

Since my nieces watch my video channel, I doubt I'll be doing a video demo/series on DIV -- a little too much cussing and adult themes (though nothing explicit yet aside from a little combat blood) -- but I might get around to doing one on Sett. I strongly recommend both games, including at full price! (And including the DLC for DIV, although you can hold off on the third one for sandbox gaming until you finish the main story, which naturally also serves as a very extended tutorial.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

And when you think you know what you need to know, you go on your first mission and are shot down in minutes without knowing what happend and what buttons you were supposed to press to avoid that  :)).

I think I will stick with Arma 3 for the weekend or else revisit Elite Dangerous.

Or I could spend a few hours reading Jason's succinct posts  :crazy2:  :hug:  :bd:.

Gusington

Loving AssCreed Odyssey and I have never even been that interested in ancient Greece...it's literally opened up a brand new world for me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

Thanks Jar :crazy2:

Still haven't a clue what to play though LOL

mikeck

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 17, 2019, 08:23:31 AM

And when you think you know what you need to know, you go on your first mission and are shot down in minutes without knowing what happend and what buttons you were supposed to press to avoid that  :)).

Oh no young neophyte...that is NOT what happens. You see, I play with the "immortal" setting on even with FC3 so that I can enjoy and learn the game!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Sir Slash

I gotta get back to Rome 2 with the DEI Mod cause it really made the game much more fun. On the other hand, it'll get you if you ain't on your 'A' game. The Pillars of Eternity 2 DLC is on sale this weekend so I'll probably grab that up and go kill a dragon or something. Have a good one Grogs.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

I will be attending the Military Exposition in Orange, MA Saturday.  Then I'll try to play some Deity Empires.

http://history-expo.com/
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Hot lead and dirty talk!

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 17, 2019, 08:23:31 AM

I think I will stick with Arma 3 for the weekend or else revisit Elite Dangerous.

Or I could spend a few hours reading Jason's succinct posts  :crazy2:  :hug:  :bd:.

Ha, ha. I needed a good laugh.  Thank you sir may I have another?
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

JasonPratt

It could have been soooooooo much less succinct!  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GroggyGrognard

I'm going to give two new game downloads a spin this weekend:

Deity Empires

World of Warships: Legends on my PS4.

Happy gaming this weekend, Grogs!

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin