UBOAT, WW2 subsim 4/30/19 on Steam

Started by glen55, April 20, 2019, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen55

Check out this RPS article on UBOAT, a WW2 subsim that incorporates crew management, stores management and lots of realism, with so much to manage that you can give orders while paused!  :clap:

Due out 4/30 on Steam and I'm thinking this is a day 1 buy, even with the other good stuff coming out.  :dreamer:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/04/19/uboat_preview/
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

This has been in development for a loooong time. Glad it is finally rising to the surface.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mbar

I've had UBOAT on my wishlist since 2017. Finally this is the year! I'm buying as soon as available.

JasonPratt

Ten more days! It's being on patrol to the coast of South America!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 20, 2019, 08:27:35 PM
Ten more days! It's being on patrol to the coast of South America!  :D

While you're there can you help out the Graf Spee? It seems to have gotten itself into a bit of trouble near Montevideo.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2019, 04:05:18 PM
This has been in development for a loooong time. Glad it is finally rising to the surface.

I see what you did there.

I noticed this title for the first time last week.  Haven't had much time to look into this game further but I'm definitely interested.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

Looks like the focus is more on crew management.
Might get heavy on micromanagement.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 22, 2019, 08:25:28 AM
Looks like the focus is more on crew management.
Might get heavy on micromanagement.

Oh god, really?  I'll have to take a closer look.  Pointless crew management was the one thing I really hated about the Silent Hunter games.

mikeck

I think that is the point (design wise) of the game. You are taking care of and managing PEOPLE and not just a boat. You don't need to tell each person to eat or to sit down before they pass out or something; but you would be dealing with illnesses, rotations, injuries to those with specific tech skills, assigning Crew to tasks and such. I don't believe it is just another SH-IV. The focus is on submarine management and not submarine combat (although that is there too). I'm debating grabbing the EA version
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Huw the Poo

Thanks for the info mikeck.  It's a pass from me then.

Toonces

Same here.  I'm an auto-crew management gamer; this simply isn't going to work for me. 

Sounds like a neat game, though.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Agree. It looks kind of clunky in the video and I'd rather not have to spend all of WWII deciding who cleans the toilets. Still, I could be wrong and this might be a real winner.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DoctorQuest

I gave up being a manager. I gave up being a project manager.

There were reasons I did not succeed in those jobs. I suspect I'd sink the sub or have to deal with a mutiny on the first mission.

I'll watch you guys play.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Pete Dero

And it is out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/494840/UBOAT/

21,24 € until 5/7 (-15%)

Who will take a dive ?