Red Shell spyware integrated into Civ 6 code?!

Started by solops, June 13, 2018, 07:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: solops on June 14, 2018, 09:21:01 AM
You can also find a brief overview of how Red Shell works here: https://redshell.io/gamers

I was just reading that page. What bullshit:

QuoteRed Shell tracks information about devices. We collect information including operating system, browser version number, IP address (anonymized through one-way hashing), screen resolution, in-game user id, and font profiles.

QuoteNo. Red Shell tracks "device" based information about your computer. We do not collect any personal information about gamers. We don't collect names, emails, or addresses. Our service basically says "this computer clicked on a link from this YouTube video and the same computer played your game." We have no interest in tracking people, just computers for the purposes of attribution. All of the data we do collect is hashed for an additional layer of protection.
Bullshit.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

solops

Ooooh, just got some updates. Steam posts claim Redshell has been removed from the TW games.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Pete Dero

I found the Redshell in Kerbal, Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.

Scanning them with AVG and Malwarebytes don't return any warnings.

mirth

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 14, 2018, 09:31:51 AM
Scanning them with AVG and Malwarebytes don't return any warnings.

I wouldn't expect them too. It's technically not malware.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

Hmm so Steam forumers are claiming that it has been removed but for some here with TW it is still on their machine...?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

I just got a warning from Steam that one of my posts was Disrespectful. I +1'd a post by Badinfo, quoted part of his post and added my own comment.

"+1 Badinfo. Uninstalled. Will not buy anything else from Firaxis/2K. Shame on you, and the corporate boot-lickers in this thread for defending you. 2K's action is sneaky, duplicitous and indefensible. No more 2K games for me, EVER."

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2018, 09:42:24 AM
Hmm so Steam forumers are claiming that it has been removed but for some here with TW it is still on their machine...?

I rescanned after the updates and found nothing. Either they removed it or "hid" it. I'll scan again and change the parameters.

Gusington

Steam warned you about that post?? That is some 1984 stuff there.

Hmm now I am really wondering if it is indeed hidden instead of removed in general...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Gusington

Thanks for posting that, I'm going to do the same thing. Shame on CA, 2K, Zenimax and the others.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Gusington

Seems too true, unfortunately. Also shame on them for not thinking dorky, bookish gaming dweebs would notice.

I just hope that by removing this stuff it doesn't break the games.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Seems too true, unfortunately. Also shame on them for not thinking dorky, bookish gaming dweebs would notice.

I just hope that by removing this stuff it doesn't break the games.

The links I posted aren't for removing it. You can block it from phoning home with your info.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2018, 10:14:23 AM
Oh. No way to completely remove it?

I dunno. Nuking the DLL could cause problems. Need to research it more.

Blocking it is a good precaution in general. Who the hell knows what other games has the thing.