Main Menu

War of Rights

Started by IronX, October 17, 2015, 05:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on October 21, 2015, 02:23:37 PM
Hmm...good feedback.  Is anyone still playing M&B Napoleonic?  I would still be keen to check it out.

I have played multi-player M&B Napoleonic in regular spurts.  The MP is still populated, with most people playing the "Siege" mode. 

Last time I jumped in, a few months ago, the biggest Siege server usually had 60+ players in it during the evening.  I keep it installed because the MP is just so much fun (and funny at times) without being too twitchy-rambo-bunnyhopper of an FPS.

I've also noticed a few popular YouTubers doing the occasional MP vids.  The M&B stuff occasionally goes on sale and gets some new blood too.

IronX

Funded. Just. Also Greenlight for Steam.

Not sure how to hyperlink, but here's the linky: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1947432146/war-of-rights

IronX

Wow, I can't believe it's been three years since I posted here!

Anyway, just received notification that the Alpha is now open to Sergeant tier backers. While I liked the look of the game, the Captain tier was too pricey for me. Looking forward to trying the game out.

Skoop

How do you like it ?  Was thinking of jumping in at this point too, but it looks like the steam keys are sold out.

IronX

I like it. It's obviously a slower pace than most shooters, which isn't a bad thing at all. You can be as sociable (or not) as you like since it's mostly the officers and NCOs that do the talking and you don't have to join a squad per se; you can just line up with everyone else and fire away. On my second try at the game, I managed to shoot someone and then run up and bayonet three others. Normally I'm just a bullet catcher, so this was a welcomed change.

I think it comes out in Early Access in the next month or two so if you've missed out you won't have too long to wait.

JasonPratt

State of the game video from The Historical Gamer.

It is hilariously apt at illustrating what a Civil War scrummage among internet pwngs is like...  :2funny:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Hofstadter

I don't think I'll get this one, it's really interesting and hella purdy, but after playing holdfast the first person shooter in such a slow pace doesnt really tickle the pickle.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Skoop

I went for it and played a few rounds, it's cool but I don't know if I'll play it enough.  It has mechanics to force you to play in lines and penalizes for leaving your rank.  Part of the fun of hold fast is to have the freedom to go skirmishing around the map with the possible line up in ranks when needed.

I think where these games fail is ignoring AI.  It would be great if the players were NCOs and officers that controlled AI companies.  The battles would be larger, you wouldn't get bored standing in ranks all the time cause your focused on orders along with fps combat.  Think SOW with command from the saddle and fps component.

I think skirmishing around the map as cavalry could be really cool if add it down the road.

Toonces

^ Exactly.

I think there was/is a American Revolution game like that.  The only person I've seen play it is Jarhead; I don't even remember the name anymore, just that it looked like a cool idea.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

^A lot of fun and totally playable in single player.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on December 05, 2018, 05:33:37 PM
I went for it and played a few rounds, it's cool but I don't know if I'll play it enough.  It has mechanics to force you to play in lines and penalizes for leaving your rank.  Part of the fun of hold fast is to have the freedom to go skirmishing around the map with the possible line up in ranks when needed.

I think where these games fail is ignoring AI.  It would be great if the players were NCOs and officers that controlled AI companies.  The battles would be larger, you wouldn't get bored standing in ranks all the time cause your focused on orders along with fps combat.  Think SOW with command from the saddle and fps component.

I think skirmishing around the map as cavalry could be really cool if add it down the road.
One of the things I hate about holdfast is it's lack of Li e mechanics. You may as well be playing call of duty half the time.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Father Ted

Quote from: Skoop on December 05, 2018, 05:33:37 PM

M&B did this - although platoons rather than companies.

I think, though, that the reason we see no SP/significant AI in these games is that it's really hard to do.  Most of these games are from small developers and I guess they don't have the resource to devote to it.

Nefaro

Picked up War Of Rights recently. 

Didn't realize just how much in-game support & mechanical encouragement it has for line battles and the teamwork required.  I'm impressed.  :bd:

It's still early access from what I gather, but it's very playable. 

Skoop

Yeah It grew on me.  I was debating if I should refund it at the 2 hour mark but I ended up digging it enough to keep it.  The mechanics are pretty unique and promote staying in line.  It'll be interesting to see it develope when they add arty, CAV, and sharpshooters.