Space Hulk: Deathwing

Started by MetalDog, June 30, 2014, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

The beta is out for those who preordered. Disappointingly, it only includes the tutorial, and a single map for MP co-op. Thankfully, you can actually play the map solo.

I'm not going to rush to judgment yet because it's far too early and the sample is way too small. However, I will say that quality appears to be questionable. Some loading times were unusually long, some of the textures and animations were a bit rough. Some of the menus and screens in the UI, as well as the sounds were also a tad bit spartan.

Notwithstanding the above, they have absolutely nailed the terminator models. The level of detail in the armor is fantastic. The maps are also extremely impressive. There is a ton of 40k eye candy in this game, no doubt. The tutorial was a little disappointing and lame, but the co-op map was very fun. I never had a shot at succeeding because I was solo,  but moving through the hallways and corridors mowing genestealers down with my assault cannon and bashing them with my power fist was extremely satisfying. The way your rounds deform the metal and concrete surroundings is really cool.

I'm looking forward to digging into the campaign once it's released and I think this will be a fantastic co-op shooter, especially for 40k fans.

FYI - the beta shows up as a totally separate download in your steam library, so it is easy to miss.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Hofstadter

I wonder what will keep people coming back to the game though. I have an irky feeling there wont be much to it
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Hofstadter on November 25, 2016, 06:52:56 AM
I wonder what will keep people coming back to the game though. I have an irky feeling there wont be much to it

Well, it is, at the end of the day, just a squad based corridor shooter, so I wouldn't expect too much anyway, that being said, although you see a glimpse of the arming chamber, it looks like it has tremendous potential, there are lots of weapons, both primary and secondary, psychic powers, etc. to choose from. If you can customize your armor, that would be even cooler.

What will keep players coming back is the team based co-op. Hopefully, there will be enough maps and variety of objectives to keep it interesting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

-budd-

Not much into the lore and can't say that corridor fps games are my favorite(see Doom 3) but always like new and interesting ways to blast stuff and the environments look cool and what's not to love about using a terminator. Give me about 20 hours and ill be happy, just hope there isn't a shit ton of buttons to use and the gun play feels good. This might be real fun with a squad.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2016, 07:02:48 AM

Well, it is, at the end of the day, just a squad based corridor shooter, so I wouldn't expect too much anyway, that being said, although you see a glimpse of the arming chamber, it looks like it has tremendous potential, there are lots of weapons, both primary and secondary, psychic powers, etc. to choose from. If you can customize your armor, that would be even cooler.

What will keep players coming back is the team based co-op. Hopefully, there will be enough maps and variety of objectives to keep it interesting.

IMHO, what will keep players playing will be a system of progression, which I understand is not in the game (yet?).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on November 25, 2016, 01:09:38 PM

IMHO, what will keep players playing will be a system of progression, which I understand is not in the game (yet?).

There is progression in terms of unlocking weapons and psy powers. As you fight and kill you gain levels which unlock more equipment, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2016, 01:15:28 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 25, 2016, 01:09:38 PM

There is progression in terms of unlocking weapons and psy powers. As you fight and kill you gain levels which unlock more equipment, etc.

According to the Steam forum though it resets completely every mission/chapter.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tpek on November 25, 2016, 04:43:37 PM

... ....... wat.

...WAT?

Surely that's only during the beta?!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

What about a game play video Jarhead, you used to post some up.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 26, 2016, 01:53:40 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 25, 2016, 04:43:37 PM

... ....... wat.

...WAT?

Surely that's only during the beta?!

Supposedly it isn't.

JasonPratt

...now I'm seriously considering asking for a Steam refund before the game even unlocks. CURSE MY LACK OF SALES RESISTANCE WHICH HAS FOILED ME AGAIN!  :tickedoff:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

I don't see why that is such a big deal...I'm thoroughly enjoying the beta. Frankly, I can't wait for the campaign.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: -budd- on November 26, 2016, 06:24:46 PM
What about a game play video Jarhead, you used to post some up.

This isn't mine, but here is a good video showcasing some co-op play and a bunch of the attention to detail in the environments...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Tpek

The enhanced edition of the game is out now on Steam (it's a separate entry in your game library).