Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on April 20, 2019, 09:23:33 PM
Not sure if this counts but just finished the introductory Space Marines campaign/scenario in Warhammer 40K Gladius - yes I know everything was set to Easy but for someone as incompetent as me it was rather fun  :)
The final turn 50ish battle against the Necron capital (well to be fair the only other city on the map) came down to my SM Captain (who was about to die) and Chaplain, my half dozen SM units in the city assault having been shredded by the Necron Lord, the Necron City and some pesky wasp things.
Started playing as per a normal Civ type game, that got my initial units I sent out exploring either dead or enslaved. Regrouped and started playing it more as a wargame and also running away from threats and things got better.

Its done, you won - it counts, Congrats! :bd:

airboy

I've won a half a dozen Aggressors: Ancient Rome with a scramble start game beginning at the bottom of the tech tree and two units.  My record was 6-2 on "easy" which is step 3 on a 7 step difficulty scale.  I had 4 wins in a row at the end so I think I have the game down on difficulty level 3.

I just got a Culture victory in the main Aggressors campaign playing Carthage.  That was a long game.  I am about 90% certain I could complete a world domination victory.  I have a couple of critical military techs that the other nations lack and I think I could crush Rome before they knew what hit them since most of their troops are tied up in Greece AND they don't have a paved road network to rapidly move troops.  Took me 166 turns for the win.  The map is huge and the number of opponents is high.  I won on "easy" which is step 3 on a 7 step difficulty level.  I did not handicap the opponents.

I'm pretty sure I could win as Ptolemaic Egypt.  I'm not sure I can win as Rome - they have a very hard starting position.  Winning with Rome on Difficulty level 3 or better would be a real accomplishment.

Carthage is the easiest nation to play in the long campaign game. There are 20 playable factions in the campaign game.  I'm almost certain that somewhere between 33% to 67% are not capable of winning the campaign on difficulty level 3.  Some of the nations start with next to nothing, are very low on the tech tree, and the best troops they can research cannot take out either Carthage or Egypt on the desert/plains for a military win.  The cluster of civilizations around Greece have such a horrible position with tons of enemies with similar strength and no easy way to do an end-run.

I'm going to knock out a review in the next week based on 81 hours of game play and 9 completed games.  Retirement is awesome!  Review will appear "elsewhere" since someone else got me a review copy.  The review will eventually appear on my blog.  I also think I have enough things figured out for a bullet point strategy guide on the "start at the beginning game" and one for Carthage on the campaign game.

The game gives a good challenge and can be easily tweaked with the interface to speed up game play, display exactly the information you need (critical with all of the resources needed), or slow down game play and provide a ton of information per turn.

Gusington

I rarely post here because it is very rare I finish anything, but yesterday I did finish all The Witcher 3's main storylines - base game, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. There is still a ton of secondary quests to do, but I can't help but be saddened by the huge, yawning RPG chasm in my gaming life...similar to when I finished Skyrim.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2019, 08:12:44 AM
I rarely post here because it is very rare I finish anything, but yesterday I did finish all The Witcher 3's main storylines - base game, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. There is still a ton of secondary quests to do, but I can't help but be saddened by the huge, yawning RPG chasm in my gaming life...similar to when I finished Skyrim.

Congrats for finishing a game.

Huw the Poo

Well done Gus!  Any idea how long that took?

Sir Slash

Atta Boy Gus!  O0  How many hot, Demon Babes did you shag during the game?  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Shagged quite a bit 😎

Huw IIRC it took me about 135 hours. And that was only the main quests. According to the GOG tracker I still have 60% of the game to still explore.

Incredible.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I got an "Overall Victory" win as Rome in Aggressors: Ancient Rome in the 282BC 20 opponent scramble for power.  I had researched Legionaires (late game), trained and built an army, and the beat-down started.  Nothing in the game can stand against the top troops of Rome.

Rayfer

Great job airboy....! I like the game but haven't won a campaign yet. Maybe it's time to try again.

airboy

I would play and win a scramble game before starting the 20 nation 282BC game.  If you do not have a good handle on the game system the 282 game will clobber you.

I just sent off a 7 page review of the game and spent 110 hours playing.  Only after I'd played half a dozen scramble start games did I finally get a firm handle on how to handle all of the resources and balance population growth with resource needs and military maintenance.  The game has a ton of excellent macros to help you manage this - but you have to learn the game concepts and how to balance all of this stuff to win.  How you handle the first 20 turns either puts you on a path where you might win or sinks you.

282BC puts you in a difficult resource situation initially - even if you are a powerhouse like Carthage.  I've thought through all of this to the point where I could probably write a strategy guide on the 282BC game which would also apply for the scramble start game.

I've won the 282BC game with both Carthage and Rome - but I won the game in different ways with the two nations.

Sir Slash

Very good Airboy! Or should I say, 'Airboy-ius Agustus'?   O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

-budd-

Finished Dusk, just over 12 hours. Overall the level design was excellent, with just a couple of lame levels. E3M7 i freaking hated, and E3M9 almost made me grab my comfort blanket, go in a corner and cry, save scummed that one. The soundtrack was excellent through out, and there were some really great level designs. I thought the later part of E3 kind of broke the flow a bit but overall an excellent FPS. Only got confused about where to go twice, and that was mostly on me. If you like an old school FPS i'd certainly recommend it.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

airboy

airboy

I finished the Battle of the Philippine Sea scenario in my 7 month long US Navy Campaign for Order of Battle WW2. 

There is a very long AAR on my blog.

On a happier note, there are only three scenarios left in this campaign!    :)

airboy

Finished Order of Battle: Red Star.  I'll probably play it through again then write a review.