Perfect Golf-- Steam release

Started by BigBlueFleet, January 15, 2015, 03:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

I've had PG on my wishlist for a while.  In the forums, I'm seeing that the swing meter may go away?  Not sure I'd like that.  ???
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: steve58 on June 21, 2015, 07:53:57 AM
I've had PG on my wishlist for a while.  In the forums, I'm seeing that the swing meter may go away?  Not sure I'd like that.  ???

Nope, no plans to do away with that.  At most, they may make it an option to use the avatar animation for those who want it.

DennisS

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 21, 2015, 03:01:59 AM
Dennis, I haven't been following Perfect Golf for long at all, but from what I've seen it looks like there are two more courses about to be released.  Work was slowed due to the upgrade from Unity 4 to 5.  I'm not a developer so I don't know how much truth there is to your assertion that the upgrade requires a complete rewrite of the code.

I looked at dksports but they don't bother to mention which platforms they support.  Perfect Golf runs on Linux. :)

In the interests of fairness, I went on to their steam forum after my post, to check the recent status of this game. I read this as well, that there was supposed to be a release of two new courses last week or the week before. It is kind of frustrating to see the goal posts being moved, with no real expectation of a timely release from beta, or the release of the course forge.

Note that this will bring the course total to nine, with no career, and no course forge. If this is enough, then I would advise a purchase. It is a decent game..in the mid 70's% approval rating.

BigBlueFleet

Quote from: DennisS on June 20, 2015, 09:21:24 PM

First, the game itself plays pretty good, and I suspect, at some point it will be as good as Links 2003, my favorite golf sim.

But..there are problems. ONLY seven courses, with none added for several months. Promises, promises, and more promises, and very little to show for it.

The Unity 4 engine that was used to develop this game is being replaced, apparently, by the Unity 5 engine, which basically means a complete re-write of the code for the game.

The Course Forge was supposed to be free, and provided to all the users months ago. It still is a fantasy, and I suspect will always BE a fantasy, as certain parts of code that the course forge is based on is copywrited, and cannot be given away. This brought to a screaming halt any new courses.

There hasn't been a new course issued for many, many months. Seven courses, ONLY, is a show stopper. Worse still are the fanboys on the steam forum that are promising the moon, and singing to high heaven the praises of the game. I'm from Missouri, and you have to show me. THEY have to show me a hell of a lot more than no career, and seven courses...even if the gameplay is good.

If you want a better golf sim, look up David Koch sports.

I didn't know there were Links players on this forum. I've went back to playing Links myself. I'm even back playing with APCD.   I'm not sorry I made the purchase. I believe with the peeps working on it PG will be great someday. It's just not there yet.

I'd be lying if I didn't state I prefer the 2d picturesque look with a hundred thousand grasses as opposed to the trade off of the lesser amount of 3D objects.

DennisS

Quote from: BigBlueFleet on June 22, 2015, 03:31:15 PM
Quote from: DennisS on June 20, 2015, 09:21:24 PM

First, the game itself plays pretty good, and I suspect, at some point it will be as good as Links 2003, my favorite golf sim.

But..there are problems. ONLY seven courses, with none added for several months. Promises, promises, and more promises, and very little to show for it.

The Unity 4 engine that was used to develop this game is being replaced, apparently, by the Unity 5 engine, which basically means a complete re-write of the code for the game.

The Course Forge was supposed to be free, and provided to all the users months ago. It still is a fantasy, and I suspect will always BE a fantasy, as certain parts of code that the course forge is based on is copywrited, and cannot be given away. This brought to a screaming halt any new courses.

There hasn't been a new course issued for many, many months. Seven courses, ONLY, is a show stopper. Worse still are the fanboys on the steam forum that are promising the moon, and singing to high heaven the praises of the game. I'm from Missouri, and you have to show me. THEY have to show me a hell of a lot more than no career, and seven courses...even if the gameplay is good.

If you want a better golf sim, look up David Koch sports.

I didn't know there were Links players on this forum. I've went back to playing Links myself. I'm even back playing with APCD.   I'm not sorry I made the purchase. I believe with the peeps working on it PG will be great someday. It's just not there yet.

I'd be lying if I didn't state I prefer the 2d picturesque look with a hundred thousand grasses as opposed to the trade off of the lesser amount of 3D objects.

All I want is dozens of courses, hundreds of golfers, and a career mode that generates new golfers as the old ones retire. With 3d graphics, and impeccable gameplay. And the ability to create your own PGA tour, with courses created by the community.

I don't want much, do I?     :uglystupid2: