Welcome to May-viation!
Today starts a new month and we here are GrogHeads never like to pass up the opportunity to talk about our two favorite pastimes: military history and gaming. One day Brant was playing solitaire on his Mac, bored out of his mind when the light went off. “May sounds like the start of the A in aviation. We’ll dedicate the month of May to military aviation!”
And so with little more than a poor alliteration and some concatenization we created May-viation.
Despite our lack of planning and vision we have managed to work up enough articles that we think we can manage to publish most of our content in May about military aviation, be it games, history, or both. Exceptions will take place. We can’t force everyone on Kickstarter to only create games that fit our theme, so while the boys at GARPA will be looking for air-based wargames we can’t promise they’ll find them. And variety is the spice of life, so expect a few non-aviation themed articles once in a while.
But rest assured that if you’ve been hankering for some air superiority, we’ll do our best to bring it to you throughout the month. We’re also going to launch a contest. Because March Mayhem was such a success we have decided to do something similar to it for May. We will publish a list of 16 early period World War II single-seat mono-engine fighters, and the first 16 guys to claim them in our forums will get to dogfight until the top aircraft, as voted on by our forumites, has been declared. Yes, there will be some legalese (set anchor to verbiage below) just to ensure anyone with insomnia has some reading material, but the good news is that we’ve got some prizes on the way from a number of companies. Not all of them have arrived yet and we don’t want to offer something we don’t have in-hand yet, but we’re wargamers and it is May-viation, so figure that the prizes should fit the theme.
With that in mind, allow me to introduce the 16 contenders for best early war fighter (single-seat, mono-engine, yada-yada):
Best Single-Seat Mono-engine Early Fighter Aircraft of WWII (nothing past 1941)
Bell P-39 Airacobra
Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
Focke-Wulf Fw 190
Grumman F4F Wildcat
Messerschmitt Bf 109
Mitsubishi A6M Zero
These aircraft were selected by yours truly. The decision to cut off with this list was based on the rough production year (or at least saw a prototype) of 1941, the fact that I wanted to have 16 planes – no more, no less – and that if we went much later we’d get ourselves into aircraft that ended up later in the war and really have an issue with apples-to-oranges comparisions (yes, I’d love a good discussion of the P-51D versus the Me-262, but we’ll save that for another time). So the choice of selecting these aircraft is mine and mine alone. Arbitrary? I hope not. Yell at me in the forums if you don’t like them, but there it is.
Contest registration will run from May 1 – May 9, 2013
follow the jump for the rules
OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. No purchase necessary to enter this contest. Limit of one entry per person. To enter contest, submit conforming essay submission to email@example.com in Microsoft Word, rtf, or text format. Entries received by any other method (phone, fax, courier) or in any other format, will not be accepted. Contest commences on May 1, 2013 and closes on or about May 27 (depending on voting results), 2013 at midnight Eastern Standard Time. Entries that are incomplete and/or not conforming to the rules will be disqualified.
2. The grand prize will consist of a one (1) year subscription to ACG magazine and other possible prizes yet to be announced. There will be one (1) winner of the contest. Winner will be notified by email and/or via private message through the grogheads.com forum. If the selected entrant cannot be reached, or does not claim his/her prize within 48 hours of the selection date, or does not meet all the contest conditions, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
3. This contest is open to all registered members of grogheads.com, who are over eighteen (18) years of age. Employees, agents, representatives and members of Grogheads, LLC, as well as members of their immediate families and households, are not eligible for contest participation. Membership at grogheads.com and participation in the contest is free. No purchase necessary.
4. On or around the close of the Entry Period, our panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and select winners of the Contest based upon judging criteria described below. The decisions of the contest judges are final and binding. Prize must be accepted as awarded and cannot be exchanged for cash. The prize winner has the sole responsibility of paying any taxes, fees or charges connected to the prize, if any. By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names and entry for publicity purposes without payment or compensation.
5. Chances of winning are dependent on the total number of eligible entries received. This contest is subject to all federal, state, provincial and municipal laws and regulations and participation in the contest indicates acceptance of all contest rules and regulations. This contest is void where prohibited by law.
6. By entering the contest, all entrants agree to release and hold harmless Grogheads, LLC and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees, members and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won. Grogheads, LLC, its agents, employees, representatives and members shall not be responsible for lost, misdirected or delayed entries. No responsibility will be taken for any failure of the website during the promotion or for any problems or technical malfunction of a network, computer on-line system, server, access provider, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail, on-line or Internet entry to be received by Grogheads,LLC
Grogheads, LLC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the this contest without notice at any time at its sole and absolute discretion. Grogheads, LLC further reserves the right to modify, amend, extend or suspend the Contest including canceling any method of entry, judging criteria, and/or Contest rules. Grogheads, LLC reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Rules or otherwise in a disruptive manner. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, mechanically reproduced, mutilated, forged, falsified, altered or tampered with in any way. Votes are also subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, entered for the sole purpose of skewing or distorting the results, forged, falsified, altered, or tampered with in any way.
7. By entering this Contest the entrants and participants automatically agree to accept and abide by these Rules and all applicable laws. All decisions of the Contest Sponsors with respect to any aspect of this Contest, including without limitation the eligibility of entries, are final and binding on all entrants in all matters as they relate to this Contest.
8. All entries and content submitted shall become the exclusive property of Grogheads, LLC.
9. All intellectual property, including but not limited to trade-marks, trade-names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by Grogheads, LLC and or its affiliates. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.